Primi Bikers confermati per Urge Cabo Verde

• Cannondale presenta la nuova Scalpel, la sua bici biammortizzata da cross country che adesso ha 120 millimetri di escursione anteriore e posteriore in tutte le sue versioni. Sembra che sia cambiato poco, a prima vista, ma sono i dettagli che fanno la differenza e che rendono questa Scalpel 2024 nettamente più performante del modello precedente.
    Iscriviti al canale se non l'hai ancora fatto (clicca qui).

david_jcd

Redazione
11/8/05
Fortezza (BZ)
Visita sito

[Comunicato stampa] Secondo biker ufficialmente confermato per Urge Cabo Verde: Hans Rey (GT Bicycles & Adidas) – USA

Dopo Sam Peridy (Scott) anche Hans Rey ha confermato ufficialmente la sua presenza per Urge Cabo Verde 2011.
Correrà con la sua GT Carbon Force.

Ricordo che Hans Rey è già impegnato in iniziative umanitarie come wheels4life.

Qui sotto una breve intervista:

Hans Rey (GT Bicycles & Adidas) – USA-: Officially confirmed-!

> Hans, can you tell me what motivation you find on this adventure of Urge Cabo Verde ?

H.R-: Its sounds like a very fun event and destination. I know the guys from URGE have made some great expeditions in the past, I always wanted to join them, since their trip remind me of my adventure trips. The event sounds like a fun mix between riding, racing, culture, advocacy, and rubbing elbows with some of the best riders in the world.

> You ride all around the world... Have you ever rode in Cabo Verde? Do you know this archipelago ?

H.R-: I have never been to Cape Verde, although I had researched it in the past. It was always on my "list to do rides". I'm looking forward to explore the islands.

> What's the most important for you in this event : the race, the adventure with other riders or the human side and the fact that MTB can give a little help for childrens there ?

H.R-: I think its the combination of things, the race is for me secondary, but I won't make it too easy for the other riders to pass me.

> Do you already know the type of machine you'll take ?

H.R-: I will likely bring my GT Carbon Force All Mountain Bike (160mm)

> One word to say to the other riders ?
H.R-: "Stoked"

Aggiornamento 11.12.2010:

[Comunicato stampa] Confermato anche il terzo partecipante, l'americano Mark Weir (WTB - Fox).

Ecco una piccola intervista:

> Mark after the Urge Kenya in 2009, welcome back on the Urge Cabo Verde! Happy to be again one actor of those adventures ?-

M.W-: I'm looking forward to the adventures and glad that I could be apart of this great reason for riding my bike.-

> In Kenya, your bike had been lost in transports... this year, you've already choosen the bike you gonna take ?-

M.W-: I did loose my bike for Kenya and it is always hard to ride someone else bike that is not your own. Fred was nice enough to let me use his and I am very thankful. It was much better then running the course on foot.-

> You'll represent USA in this adventure, hard challenge

M.W-: Not hard. it just means I'm not expected to win. In these style of events the USA will always be the under dog. Being the under dog is something I'm use too. I will represent with a smile.-

> Have you ever ride on vulcano like Fogo

M.W-: This will be a chance of life time for me and I'm excited to ride this moon like land scape.-

> What is your feeling about the humanitarian actions include in the event ? Is it important for you that MTB begin to give his little contribution to people living in the countries you ride ?-

M.W-: It feels much better knowing that our hard efforts on the bike are not always a solo score. To help others while helping your own soul is a win win situations. I'm happy to help and happy to be given the opportunity to help.-

Aggiornamento 18.11.2011:

[Comunicato stampa] Arriva anche il Regno Unito, con la prima donna confermata per Urge Cabo Verde: Tracy Moseley (Trek World Racing)!

Ecco l'usuale intervista:

> Tracy, wellcome on board on this Urge Cabo Verde, happy to be an actris of the adventure ?

T.M : I am really excited to be part of Urge Cabo Verde, having been a team mate of Fabien for many years I have watched the last two Urge adventures and I am excited to finally be able to be part of this one.

> Do you already know Cabo Verde, do you think it will be a great place to ride ?

T.M : I had never even heard of the Cabo Verde, but having now learnt a little about it, it’s really exciting to visit a beautiful place like this on our bikes.

> Last year in Nepal, Sabrina Jonnier was the only feminine. This year, girls will be 4 or 5, you think it's a good evolution in the Urge Events ?

T.M : Yeah its great that more girls are going to be taking part in this years event. It will be a good time and good representation for all the girls out there riding.

> Do you plan plan to make a special training for this special race ?

T.M : I don’t plan to do any specific training as I think my training for the cape epic and general downhill training will be perfect for this event !

> Do you already know what bike you'll gonna ride ?

T.M : I’ll be riding a Trek Remedy

Aggiornamento 23.11.2010

Dieci volte campione del mondo...
Due volte secondo classificato agli eventi Urge...
Nicolas Vouilloz (Lapierre) parteciperà a Urge Cabo Verde!
Chiaramente è uno dei favoriti ma soprattutto fa parte da sempre della famiglia di Urge.

Ecco una breve intervista!

> Nico, third Urge Event trip for you, what made you decide to go for it once again ?

N.V : the concept is really cool, it’s a race like no other, with at the end the satisfaction to help at our level these underdeveloped countries.

> In Kenya, you finished 2nd, in Nepal you finished 2nd… in Cape Verde you are going to win ?

N.V : In Cape Verde, I’ll finish 2nd…just like the old saying!!!

> More seriously, is the racing side important on this event or is it not the first objective ?

N.V : We’re not in a racing atmosphere, it’s really friendly ! Plus, it’s a real battle to reach the summit (not even mentioning being fresh), there’s a lot of improvisation and the track is not secured… So at the end, we’re racing without the impression to race… and to finish 1st, 2nd, 5th… it doesn’t mean much compare to the cause…

> With the other riders, you were able to collect twice as much money for the charity in 2010 than in 2009. For you, is it important to witness the results of your involvement translated into real actions for children?

N.V : I really liked the ad about where it stands, what has been done… it’s really important because usually, when you give money to charity, you never know if it’s useful or not at the end.

> Have you already decided on what bike you’ll be riding in Cape Verde ?

N.V : I haven’t talked to Fab to know how it is over there!... but it’ll be a Lapierre for sure!

Aggiornamento 29.11.2011

[Comunicato Stampa] E' confermato: Sabrina Jonnier (Rocky Mountain - Punch Power) difenderà i colori francesi a Capo Verde, chiaramente con Rocky Mountain.

Sarà anche supportata da Punch Power, azienda che si occupa di nutrizione per lo sport, e la loro gamma biologica specifica per MTB.

Ecco, come al solito, una breve intervista.

> Sabrina, in Nepal last year you were the first female to take part in an Urge Event, was it a good experience? Is it why you quickly said yes once again this year?

S.J : Totally, Urge Nepal was exceptional and I’m in again without a doubt for Cape Verde!

> The trend you started seems to develop as there will be several female riders this year on the Urge Cabo Verde, that’s a good thing, isn’t it?

S.J : It’s brilliant to see more girls really motivated for this Urge Event. We deserve our place as much as the boys and it’s good to show it!

> What especially motivates you with the Urge Event concept ?

S.J : the humanitarian side and the adventure. To help people in the need while discovering new cultures and new landscapes, on your bike, it’s just amazing!

> Do you know Cape Verde ?

S.J : I’ve never been there, but the searches I did make me dream about it…

> And this year, what bike are you going to ride ?

S.J : Looking at the course this time, I’ll be riding the Rocky Mountain Slayer

Aggiornamento 2.12.2010

[Comunicato Stampa] Alla fine di Gennaio, Rowan lascerà la sua grande isola alla volta delle piccole isolette di Capo Verde... Il Regno unito quest'anno verrà rappresentato proprio bene agli Urge Events.

Rowan Sorrell (Orange - Mojo) Galles – UK : Ufficialmente confermato!

> Rowan, how do you feel just before this departure to Cabo Verde ? Excited ?

R.S : I am really excited about this trip, I’m looking forward to learning about the Cape Verde Islands and experiencing the madness of the Urge events with some of the world’s best riders.

> Urge Cabo Verde is much more than a race, is it one of the reasons you decided to come ?

R.S : Yes, this has definitely caught my attention with the previous events, the challenge and adventure you undertake when out on your bike is part of what makes mountain biking special, though I suspect this will take it a bit further than usual!!

> Is the humanitarian aspect of the Urge Events important for you ?

R.S : This is an amazing opportunity, to have a way of raising money for worthy causes through what we do is exciting, we are all privileged to have grown up where we have and the Urge events aim to make a real difference for the hosting countries.

> Do you think it's important that well known riders like you act like ambassadors to help countries like Cabo Verde to develop activities around the MTB ?

R.S : All the riders on the trip love mountain biking, I think promoting the sport to new people and new areas is just an extension of our passion for the sport. The Urge events have not been well publicised in the UK so far and I hope that this year with Tracey and I on board we will be able to create some interest and excitement around the event back in the UK.

R.S : I will be taking an Orange Alpine 160 kitted out with the latest Fox Suspension

Aggiornamento 6.12.2011

[Comunicato stampa] Dopo Sam Peridy, Hans Rey, Mark Weir, Tracy Moseley, Nicolas Vouilloz, Sabrina Jonnier, Rowan Sorrell, con grande entusiasmo annunciamo Anka Martin (Santa Cruz - SRAM), in rappresentanza di Sud Africa e USA!

Ecco una breve intervista.

> Anka, welcome on board of this Urge Cabo Verde ! Happy to join this adventure ?

A.M : I am so excited to be a part of this wonderful adventure. I cannot wait to see the beauty of Cabo Verde, to race some crazy, unknown, exotic trails and do be a part of a great project which will impact the community in so many positive ways.

> Last year in Nepal, Sabrina Jonnier was the only girl in the Urge challenge. This year there will be several women riding in Cabo Verde. You think it's great to see more feminine riders on this kind of events ?

A.M : Of course, I think it is great! There are so many talented women riders out there, and these kind of events are a great way to really show how talented these women are. Women who just love to ride and race their bikes. Women are also great ambassadors for charity events like these, we bring a feminine touch to a very male dominated sport and we are able to reach out to a different segment of the biking community. There is a lot more women who ride enduro and trail ride than just DH, so this makes perfect sense.

> What do you like in this concept of event : the race, the adventure, the help that MTB can provide to local development ?

A.M : What draws me to this event, is the cause of the event. I love to race and ride my bike, but if I can do it for a good reason, to help other people, then it makes it so much better, so much more special and meaningful. Mountain biking has given me so much happiness in my life, and it is great to be able to give back to others by using my cycling career to bring some happiness to their lives. The adventure of riding in new faraway locations, is also very appealing to me.

> Do you know Cabo Verde yeat ? Are you excited to ride there ?

A.M : I have never been to Cabo Verde, and am super excited to get there and to experience a whole new culture and to escape the cold, snowy winter of Oregon.

> Last question, do you already choose your bike for the trip ?

A.M : O, yes I have - my beloved Santa Cruz Carbon Nomad will be joining me. She is one good looking bike, and my baby !

Aggiornamento 10.12.2010

[Comunicato stampa] Dopo una fantastica stagione 2010, ha deciso di riposarsi un pochino a Capo Verde!

E' il francese Jerôme Clementz (Cannondale - Mavic)!

> Jérôme, after a very successful season, here you are, ready to participate in the Urge Cabo Verde adventure! What in particular made you decide to go for it?

J.C: Since the 1st edition I really wanted to take part in it, but I was working in the winter and couldn’t make it. This year, as I have free time, I immediately let the organizers know that they could count on me.
To share this adventure with others riders and meet the locals is a dream. And in top of that, we’re gonna enjoy it... looking at the first pics from Cape Verde!

> What do think of this concept that mix high performance sports, discovery of unknown landscapes and humanitarian actions?

J.C: I’m aware that I was really privileged to grow up in France with all the advantages we have in terms of education, health, comfort, hygiene… To have the opportunity to give a bit of my time to help the others, to go and meet them and with that, to discover the world, it’s something close to my heart. We ‘re not going to save the world but if in addition to simply riding we can help a bit these kids with our actions, it’s even better!

> We see you more and more travelling around the world, is it important for you to discover other cultures?

J.C : I love it. I like competition but with limits. To travel, to meet people, to learn from this, it allows you to open up to the others and to not stay confined in your own little world. There’s nothing more rewarding than this. Life, or biking, is not worth it if it’s to stay at home on your own.

> Can you tell us how a brand like Cannondale reacted with this kind of event, do you think they are sensible to this new way of communicating mixed with giving funds to humanitarian actions?

J.C: Cannondale is already involved in this type of actions. In the US, they have a road cycling team that supports the youth in deprived areas via a charity association. When I told them I was available, they did the maximum to get me involved in this adventure. Plus, on the humanitarian side, they’re aware of others problems like environment and are involved in that sense, supporting for instance the Bike Belong action that push people to commute more on bikes.

> Talking about Cannondale, what bike are you going to ride?

J.C: At the minute, I’m still hesitating between a Jekyll and a Claymore. I’m waiting for the last information from the organizers to make my choice. But whatever happens, it won’t the bike that will restrain the pleasure or performance.

Aggiornamento 14.12.2010

[Comunicato stampa] Ecco qualche novità fresca fresca. Fred Glo e parte dello staff di Urge sono tornati oggi da Capo Verde. Vi si erano recati per motivi organizzativi e per incontrarsi con organizzazioni non governative. Riassunto in poche parole "sarà magico"!

Siamo molto lieti di annunciare il 10° rider. Ha conosciuto Urge l'anno scorso in Nepal ed è di nuovo qui per Capo Verde: Greg Doucende (Performance Parts - Trek) - Francia.

Mancano i nomi di 3 professionisti e di due ospiti non pro.

A breve il prossimo nome... sembra che arrivi anche l'Italia!

> Greg, you took part in the Urge Events last year in Nepal, have you good memories of it? This year, you said yes again without hesitating?

G.D : Urge Nepal last year was an extraordinary adventure. We went across incredible landscapes and we’ll keep images of it for a long time. Plus, this trip was an incredible human adventure, whether it was with the locals or with the staff and others riders. That’s why I absolutely wanted to do it again this year.

> What are for you the important and motivational parts in this new kind of races?

G.D : For me, the Urge Event is not about competition, it’s the way to go riding in a country you don’t know, on new tracks and to discover new cultures. Competition is secondary.

> In few weeks, you’ll be flying out to Cape Verde… Have you been there? Have you ever thought of riding there?

G.D : I’ve never been there but I can’t’ wait to discover all these isles and especially the singletracks.

> You’ve just finished a thesis about cardiac adaptation on extreme effort situation… This year, a part of the humanitarian aid « Urge FOR Cabo Verde » will be given to help health services for children in Cape Verde who suffer from severe diseases. So, especially for you, this Urge Cabo Verde will be the perfect reflection of your two passions?

G.D : Indeed, this charity aid touches me in particular. The health infrastructures in Cape Verde are unfortunately not as developed as in France. Children with disease often have to travel to Europe but this requires important spending. I really hope that people will participate in the event with the auctions in particular, for this humanitarian action to save lots of these children.

> Have you decided what bike you’ll be riding?

G.D : I’ll ride a Trek Scratch with 170mm travel because I think it’ll be quite rocky over there… I’m going to build it as light as possible to avoid too much hassle when carrying the bike.

Aggiornamento 17.12.2010

[Comunicato stampa]L'Italia si aggiunge ad Urge Cabo Verde... e con le ruote grandi!

Marco Nicoletti (Niner) ufficialmente confermato! Ecco l'intervista:

> Buongiorno Marco, benvenuto a bordo di questa Urge Capo Verde! Puoi parlarci un pò di te per farti conoscere meglio?

M.N : Buongiorno a tutti!
sono un meccanico ciclista e pratico la mtb da 24 anni (da quando ne avevo 10!).
Mi è sempre piaciuta la mtb in tutte le discipline, dal cross country alla dh: ho fatto competizioni xc da ragazzino, qualche uscita di freeride e dh con gli amici, passando per le gare di superenduro. ultimo "amore" le competizioni di durata in singlespeed.
negli ultimi 2 anni mi sono dedicato con somma soddisfazione nelle gare di 6-12 ore in solitaria. Sono riuscito a vincere il campionato "endurance tour" con la mia singlespeed, quando tutti i miei avversari pedalavano su bici normalmente dotate di cambi! Il mio più grande exploit di sempre, il quinto posto alla 24 ore di finale ligure, sempre in monomarcia, primo degli italiani e primo tra i singlespeeders!
Ora però ho un po' voglia di tornare alle mie origini, un pò più "gravity" e mi piacerebbe provare una maxiavalanche.

> Cosa ti attira di più in questa avventura?

M.N : Pedalare a Capo Verde!!!
Qualche anno fa acquistai il libro "vtt autour du monde" (in mtb intorno al mondo) di Fred Glo e Alain Olivier, e mai avrei pensato di potermi ritrovare a pedalare in quei posti così incredibili!
in più, pedalare fianco a fianco dei personaggi più celebri del panorama mtb internazionale, è per me un'occasione unica. Pensate che da ragazzo avevo le cartoline di Hans Rey e del team GT nel mio diario; a breve mi ritroverò a pedalare al suo fianco... sono senza parole!!!

> Con gli altri bikers andrete non solo a vivere una avventura incredibile ed a fare una gara, ma andata a portare dei fondi per delle azioni umanitarie concrete. E' importante, secondo te, questa azione di solidarietà nei confronti del paese che vi ospiterà?

M.N : Qualche anno fa mio fratello è stato a Capo Verde per una missione umanitaria tramite l'ospedale di Aosta, per insegnare ai medici locali ad utilizzare alcuni apparecchi ad uso medico.
ora tocca a me, e fare la mia piccola parte praticando il mio sport preferito è quasi incredibile. Mai avrei pensato che questa mia passione potesse recare aiuto ad altri! Poter aiutari dei bimbi bisognosi è una cosa che mi piace e che mi rende orgoglioso!

> Difenderai non solo i colori dell'Itali, ma anche quelli delle 29 pollici. Pensi che questa tipologia di bicicletta possa avere qualcosa da dire in questo tipo di competizioni?

M.N : Pedalo una 29 pollici dal 2007. da allora, avendo trovato un sacco di vantaggi nel mio modo di pedalare, non ho mai più usato una mtb da 26". sono stato tra i primi a portare una 29er in una competizione superenduro, con un ottimo quinto posto a Cartosio nel 2008.
penso che col tempo si vedranno sempre più 29er al via di molti eventi, non importa in quale disciplina. per ora se ne vedono molte in ambito endurance, ma non è che l'inizio!
credo anche che, alla fine, non bastano 3 pollici in più per essere veloci! sicuramente sarà sempre più veloce di me Fabien in 29" rispetto a me in 26!!!

> Puoi descriverci il materiale che utilizzerai a Capo Verde??

M.N : Pedalerò una Niner WFO (wide full open) nella nuovissima versione 2011, le cui geometrie sono state riviste per un uso più efficace nell'uso gravity (angolo sterzo più rilassato e top tube più corto). Userò pneumatici WTB (al momento la casa produttrice con più scelta in ambito 29") e cerchi no tubes.
Abbilgiamento royal e protezioni six six one per completare il tutto.
Non vedo l'ora di vivere questa avventura... a presto!

-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°

Inoltre un piccolo resoconto dell'ultimo preride a Capo Verde.

Il team di 4 riders diretto da Manou, assieme a Ludivine, Edgar e Fred è appena tornato da Capo Verde. Tutto sembra procedere per il meglio e gli ultimi dettagli sono stati messi a posto con l'aiuto di Andrè di Cabo Verde Bikes. 10 giorni sul posto per stabilire definitivamente i tracciati per le diverse manches, perchè (non è più un segreto), ci saranno diverse runs e non una sola come in passato. In totale almento 7000m di dislivello su incredibili single tracks.
Siccome a causa delle elezioni parlamentari il tutto sarà spostato di una settimana (partenza da Parici il 7 Febbraio), gli organizzatori hanno fatto fruttare il tempo in più per incontrarsi con le associazioni locali e per visitare le scuole che saranno aiutate dall'iniziativa.
Un'ultima cosa: c'erano 25°C in Dicembre... è orribile, lo sappiamo!

david_jcd

Redazione
11/8/05
Fortezza (BZ)
Visita sito
[Comunicato stampa] Arriva anche il Regno Unito, con la prima donna confermata per Urge Cabo Verde: Tracy Moseley (Trek World Racing)!

> Tracy, wellcome on board on this Urge Cabo Verde, happy to be an actris of the adventure ?

T.M : I am really excited to be part of Urge Cabo Verde, having been a team mate of Fabien for many years I have watched the last two Urge adventures and I am excited to finally be able to be part of this one.

> Do you already know Cabo Verde, do you think it will be a great place to ride ?

T.M : I had never even heard of the Cabo Verde, but having now learnt a little about it, it’s really exciting to visit a beautiful place like this on our bikes.

> Last year in Nepal, Sabrina Jonnier was the only feminine. This year, girls will be 4 or 5, you think it's a good evolution in the Urge Events ?

T.M : Yeah its great that more girls are going to be taking part in this years event. It will be a good time and good representation for all the girls out there riding.

> Do you plan plan to make a special training for this special race ?

T.M : I don’t plan to do any specific training as I think my training for the cape epic and general downhill training will be perfect for this event !

> Do you already know what bike you'll gonna ride ?

T.M : I’ll be riding a Trek Remedy

david_jcd

Redazione
11/8/05
Fortezza (BZ)
Visita sito

Dieci volte campione del mondo...
Due volte secondo classificato agli eventi Urge...
Nicolas Vouilloz (Lapierre) parteciperà a Urge Cabo Verde!
Chiaramente è uno dei favoriti ma soprattutto fa parte da sempre della famiglia di Urge.

Ecco una breve intervista!

> Nico, third Urge Event trip for you, what made you decide to go for it once again ?

N.V : the concept is really cool, it’s a race like no other, with at the end the satisfaction to help at our level these underdeveloped countries.

> In Kenya, you finished 2nd, in Nepal you finished 2nd… in Cape Verde you are going to win ?

N.V : In Cape Verde, I’ll finish 2nd…just like the old saying!!!

> More seriously, is the racing side important on this event or is it not the first objective ?

N.V : We’re not in a racing atmosphere, it’s really friendly ! Plus, it’s a real battle to reach the summit (not even mentioning being fresh), there’s a lot of improvisation and the track is not secured… So at the end, we’re racing without the impression to race… and to finish 1st, 2nd, 5th… it doesn’t mean much compare to the cause…

> With the other riders, you were able to collect twice as much money for the charity in 2010 than in 2009. For you, is it important to witness the results of your involvement translated into real actions for children?

N.V : I really liked the ad about where it stands, what has been done… it’s really important because usually, when you give money to charity, you never know if it’s useful or not at the end.

> Have you already decided on what bike you’ll be riding in Cape Verde ?

N.V : I haven’t talked to Fab to know how it is over there!... but it’ll be a Lapierre for sure!

david_jcd

Redazione
11/8/05
Fortezza (BZ)
Visita sito

[Comunicato Stampa] E' confermato: Sabrina Jonnier (Rocky Mountain - Punch Power) difenderà i colori francesi a Capo Verde, chiaramente con Rocky Mountain.

Sarà anche supportata da Punch Power, azienda che si occupa di nutrizione per lo sport, e la loro gamma biologica specifica per MTB.

> Sabrina, in Nepal last year you were the first female to take part in an Urge Event, was it a good experience? Is it why you quickly said yes once again this year?

S.J : Totally, Urge Nepal was exceptional and I’m in again without a doubt for Cape Verde!

> The trend you started seems to develop as there will be several female riders this year on the Urge Cabo Verde, that’s a good thing, isn’t it?

S.J : It’s brilliant to see more girls really motivated for this Urge Event. We deserve our place as much as the boys and it’s good to show it!

> What especially motivates you with the Urge Event concept ?

S.J : the humanitarian side and the adventure. To help people in the need while discovering new cultures and new landscapes, on your bike, it’s just amazing!

> Do you know Cape Verde ?

S.J : I’ve never been there, but the searches I did make me dream about it…

> And this year, what bike are you going to ride ?

S.J : Looking at the course this time, I’ll be riding the Rocky Mountain Slayer

david_jcd

Redazione
11/8/05
Fortezza (BZ)
Visita sito

[Comunicato Stampa] Alla fine di Gennaio, Rowan lascerà la sua grande isola alla volta delle piccole isolette di Capo Verde... Il Regno unito quest'anno verrà rappresentato proprio bene agli Urge Events.

Rowan Sorrell (Orange - Mojo) Galles – UK : Ufficialmente confermato!

> Rowan, how do you feel just before this departure to Cabo Verde ? Excited ?

R.S : I am really excited about this trip, I’m looking forward to learning about the Cape Verde Islands and experiencing the madness of the Urge events with some of the world’s best riders.

> Urge Cabo Verde is much more than a race, is it one of the reasons you decided to come ?

R.S : Yes, this has definitely caught my attention with the previous events, the challenge and adventure you undertake when out on your bike is part of what makes mountain biking special, though I suspect this will take it a bit further than usual!!

> Is the humanitarian aspect of the Urge Events important for you ?

R.S : This is an amazing opportunity, to have a way of raising money for worthy causes through what we do is exciting, we are all privileged to have grown up where we have and the Urge events aim to make a real difference for the hosting countries.

> Do you think it's important that well known riders like you act like ambassadors to help countries like Cabo Verde to develop activities around the MTB ?

R.S : All the riders on the trip love mountain biking, I think promoting the sport to new people and new areas is just an extension of our passion for the sport. The Urge events have not been well publicised in the UK so far and I hope that this year with Tracey and I on board we will be able to create some interest and excitement around the event back in the UK.

R.S : I will be taking an Orange Alpine 160 kitted out with the latest Fox Suspension

david_jcd

Redazione
11/8/05
Fortezza (BZ)
Visita sito

[Comunicato stampa] Dopo Sam Peridy, Hans Rey, Mark Weir, Tracy Moseley, Nicolas Vouilloz, Sabrina Jonnier, Rowan Sorrell, con grande entusiasmo annunciamo Anka Martin (Santa Cruz - SRAM), in rappresentanza di Sud Africa e USA!

Ecco una breve intervista.

> Anka, welcome on board of this Urge Cabo Verde ! Happy to join this adventure ?

A.M : I am so excited to be a part of this wonderful adventure. I cannot wait to see the beauty of Cabo Verde, to race some crazy, unknown, exotic trails and do be a part of a great project which will impact the community in so many positive ways.

> Last year in Nepal, Sabrina Jonnier was the only girl in the Urge challenge. This year there will be several women riding in Cabo Verde. You think it's great to see more feminine riders on this kind of events ?

A.M : Of course, I think it is great! There are so many talented women riders out there, and these kind of events are a great way to really show how talented these women are. Women who just love to ride and race their bikes. Women are also great ambassadors for charity events like these, we bring a feminine touch to a very male dominated sport and we are able to reach out to a different segment of the biking community. There is a lot more women who ride enduro and trail ride than just DH, so this makes perfect sense.

> What do you like in this concept of event : the race, the adventure, the help that MTB can provide to local development ?

A.M : What draws me to this event, is the cause of the event. I love to race and ride my bike, but if I can do it for a good reason, to help other people, then it makes it so much better, so much more special and meaningful. Mountain biking has given me so much happiness in my life, and it is great to be able to give back to others by using my cycling career to bring some happiness to their lives. The adventure of riding in new faraway locations, is also very appealing to me.

> Do you know Cabo Verde yeat ? Are you excited to ride there ?

A.M : I have never been to Cabo Verde, and am super excited to get there and to experience a whole new culture and to escape the cold, snowy winter of Oregon.

> Last question, do you already choose your bike for the trip ?

A.M : O, yes I have - my beloved Santa Cruz Carbon Nomad will be joining me. She is one good looking bike, and my baby !

david_jcd

Redazione
11/8/05
Fortezza (BZ)
Visita sito

[Comunicato stampa] Dopo una fantastica stagione 2010, ha deciso di riposarsi un pochino a Capo Verde!

E' il francese Jerôme Clementz (Cannondale - Mavic)!

> Jérôme, after a very successful season, here you are, ready to participate in the Urge Cabo Verde adventure! What in particular made you decide to go for it?

J.C: Since the 1st edition I really wanted to take part in it, but I was working in the winter and couldn’t make it. This year, as I have free time, I immediately let the organizers know that they could count on me.
To share this adventure with others riders and meet the locals is a dream. And in top of that, we’re gonna enjoy it... looking at the first pics from Cape Verde!

> What do think of this concept that mix high performance sports, discovery of unknown landscapes and humanitarian actions?

J.C: I’m aware that I was really privileged to grow up in France with all the advantages we have in terms of education, health, comfort, hygiene… To have the opportunity to give a bit of my time to help the others, to go and meet them and with that, to discover the world, it’s something close to my heart. We ‘re not going to save the world but if in addition to simply riding we can help a bit these kids with our actions, it’s even better!

> We see you more and more travelling around the world, is it important for you to discover other cultures?

J.C : I love it. I like competition but with limits. To travel, to meet people, to learn from this, it allows you to open up to the others and to not stay confined in your own little world. There’s nothing more rewarding than this. Life, or biking, is not worth it if it’s to stay at home on your own.

> Can you tell us how a brand like Cannondale reacted with this kind of event, do you think they are sensible to this new way of communicating mixed with giving funds to humanitarian actions?

J.C: Cannondale is already involved in this type of actions. In the US, they have a road cycling team that supports the youth in deprived areas via a charity association. When I told them I was available, they did the maximum to get me involved in this adventure. Plus, on the humanitarian side, they’re aware of others problems like environment and are involved in that sense, supporting for instance the Bike Belong action that push people to commute more on bikes.

> Talking about Cannondale, what bike are you going to ride?

J.C: At the minute, I’m still hesitating between a Jekyll and a Claymore. I’m waiting for the last information from the organizers to make my choice. But whatever happens, it won’t the bike that will restrain the pleasure or performance.

david_jcd

Redazione
11/8/05
Fortezza (BZ)
Visita sito

[Comunicato stampa] Ecco qualche novità fresca fresca. Fred Glo e parte dello staff di Urge sono tornati oggi da Capo Verde. Vi si erano recati per motivi organizzativi e per incontrarsi con organizzazioni non governative. Riassunto in poche parole "sarà magico"!

Siamo molto lieti di annunciare il 10° rider. Ha conosciuto Urge l'anno scorso in Nepal ed è di nuovo qui per Capo Verde: Greg Doucende (Performance Parts - Trek) - Francia.

Mancano i nomi di 3 professionisti e di due ospiti non pro.

A breve il prossimo nome... sembra che arrivi anche l'Italia!

> Greg, you took part in the Urge Events last year in Nepal, have you good memories of it? This year, you said yes again without hesitating?

G.D : Urge Nepal last year was an extraordinary adventure. We went across incredible landscapes and we’ll keep images of it for a long time. Plus, this trip was an incredible human adventure, whether it was with the locals or with the staff and others riders. That’s why I absolutely wanted to do it again this year.

> What are for you the important and motivational parts in this new kind of races?

G.D : For me, the Urge Event is not about competition, it’s the way to go riding in a country you don’t know, on new tracks and to discover new cultures. Competition is secondary.

> In few weeks, you’ll be flying out to Cape Verde… Have you been there? Have you ever thought of riding there?

G.D : I’ve never been there but I can’t’ wait to discover all these isles and especially the singletracks.

> You’ve just finished a thesis about cardiac adaptation on extreme effort situation… This year, a part of the humanitarian aid « Urge FOR Cabo Verde » will be given to help health services for children in Cape Verde who suffer from severe diseases. So, especially for you, this Urge Cabo Verde will be the perfect reflection of your two passions?

G.D : Indeed, this charity aid touches me in particular. The health infrastructures in Cape Verde are unfortunately not as developed as in France. Children with disease often have to travel to Europe but this requires important spending. I really hope that people will participate in the event with the auctions in particular, for this humanitarian action to save lots of these children.

> Have you decided what bike you’ll be riding?

G.D : I’ll ride a Trek Scratch with 170mm travel because I think it’ll be quite rocky over there… I’m going to build it as light as possible to avoid too much hassle when carrying the bike.

david_jcd

Redazione
11/8/05
Fortezza (BZ)
Visita sito

[Comunicato Stampa] Nell'Ottobre scorso, nel golfo di Saint-Tropez, Fabien Barel e Sabrina Jonnier hanno diretto l'Urge Training Camp, ultima selezione per i riders non professionisti invitati a Urge Cabo Verde.

Ecco dunque le avventure di 10 donne e 10 uomini, accorsi da tutta Europa per partecipare ad Urge Cabo Verde come bikers non professionisti! Il programma prevedeva: bici, kayak, camminate, nuoto, ancora bici, ancora kayak... Due giorni intensi e di grande atmosfera!

Ecco i nomi degli eroici partecipanti:

AGNIESZKA BALCEREK (Po)

PRISKA HEINZLE (Aust)

DORO LINDKE (Germ)

SONJA GRANZOW (Germ)

ANAIS MAUREL (Fr)

SANDRA PETRY (Fr)

SEVERINE CIGANA (Fr)

LAURENCE DUPUPET (Fr)

AYME GIL (Ven)

LAURA ISRAEL (Fr)

JORDAN REGNIER (Fr)

LAURENT MALLET (Belg)

SAMUEL NORMAND (Fr)

NORMAN GALLY (Suis)

MARKUS NYSTROM (Sued)

STEPHANO FARALLI (Ita)

TITO TOMASI (Fr)

SIGMAR KAHLEN (Aust)

FRANK COURTET (Fr)

TOBIAS HEINZLE (Aust)

<object height="270" width="480">

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://dailymotion.virgilio.it/swf/video/xg4a60?width=&theme=none&foreground=%23F7FFFD&highlight=%23FFC300&background=%23171D1B&start=&animatedTitle=&iframe=0&additionalInfos=0&autoPlay=0&hideInfos=0" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="270" width="480"></object>
Urge Training Camp 2010 : Le Film !
Caricato da urgenepal. - Guarda altri video di sport estremi.

david_jcd

Redazione
11/8/05
Fortezza (BZ)
Visita sito

[Comunicato stampa]L'Italia si aggiunge ad Urge Cabo Verde... e con le ruote grandi!

Marco Nicoletti (Niner) ufficialmente confermato! Ecco l'intervista:

> Buongiorno Marco, benvenuto a bordo di questa Urge Capo Verde! Puoi parlarci un pò di te per farti conoscere meglio?

M.N : Buongiorno a tutti!
sono un meccanico ciclista e pratico la mtb da 24 anni (da quando ne avevo 10!).
Mi è sempre piaciuta la mtb in tutte le discipline, dal cross country alla dh: ho fatto competizioni xc da ragazzino, qualche uscita di freeride e dh con gli amici, passando per le gare di superenduro. ultimo "amore" le competizioni di durata in singlespeed.
negli ultimi 2 anni mi sono dedicato con somma soddisfazione nelle gare di 6-12 ore in solitaria. Sono riuscito a vincere il campionato "endurance tour" con la mia singlespeed, quando tutti i miei avversari pedalavano su bici normalmente dotate di cambi! Il mio più grande exploit di sempre, il quinto posto alla 24 ore di finale ligure, sempre in monomarcia, primo degli italiani e primo tra i singlespeeders!
Ora però ho un po' voglia di tornare alle mie origini, un pò più "gravity" e mi piacerebbe provare una maxiavalanche.

> Cosa ti attira di più in questa avventura?

M.N : Pedalare a Capo Verde!!!
Qualche anno fa acquistai il libro "vtt autour du monde" (in mtb intorno al mondo) di Fred Glo e Alain Olivier, e mai avrei pensato di potermi ritrovare a pedalare in quei posti così incredibili!
in più, pedalare fianco a fianco dei personaggi più celebri del panorama mtb internazionale, è per me un'occasione unica. Pensate che da ragazzo avevo le cartoline di Hans Rey e del team GT nel mio diario; a breve mi ritroverò a pedalare al suo fianco... sono senza parole!!!

> Con gli altri bikers andrete non solo a vivere una avventura incredibile ed a fare una gara, ma andata a portare dei fondi per delle azioni umanitarie concrete. E' importante, secondo te, questa azione di solidarietà nei confronti del paese che vi ospiterà?

M.N : Qualche anno fa mio fratello è stato a Capo Verde per una missione umanitaria tramite l'ospedale di Aosta, per insegnare ai medici locali ad utilizzare alcuni apparecchi ad uso medico.
ora tocca a me, e fare la mia piccola parte praticando il mio sport preferito è quasi incredibile. Mai avrei pensato che questa mia passione potesse recare aiuto ad altri! Poter aiutari dei bimbi bisognosi è una cosa che mi piace e che mi rende orgoglioso!

> Difenderai non solo i colori dell'Itali, ma anche quelli delle 29 pollici. Pensi che questa tipologia di bicicletta possa avere qualcosa da dire in questo tipo di competizioni?

M.N : Pedalo una 29 pollici dal 2007. da allora, avendo trovato un sacco di vantaggi nel mio modo di pedalare, non ho mai più usato una mtb da 26". sono stato tra i primi a portare una 29er in una competizione superenduro, con un ottimo quinto posto a Cartosio nel 2008.
penso che col tempo si vedranno sempre più 29er al via di molti eventi, non importa in quale disciplina. per ora se ne vedono molte in ambito endurance, ma non è che l'inizio!
credo anche che, alla fine, non bastano 3 pollici in più per essere veloci! sicuramente sarà sempre più veloce di me Fabien in 29" rispetto a me in 26!!!

> Puoi descriverci il materiale che utilizzerai a Capo Verde??

M.N : Pedalerò una Niner WFO (wide full open) nella nuovissima versione 2011, le cui geometrie sono state riviste per un uso più efficace nell'uso gravity (angolo sterzo più rilassato e top tube più corto). Userò pneumatici WTB (al momento la casa produttrice con più scelta in ambito 29") e cerchi no tubes.
Abbilgiamento royal e protezioni six six one per completare il tutto.
Non vedo l'ora di vivere questa avventura... a presto!

-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°

Inoltre un piccolo resoconto dell'ultimo preride a Capo Verde.

Il team di 4 riders diretto da Manou, assieme a Ludivine, Edgar e Fred è appena tornato da Capo Verde. Tutto sembra procedere per il meglio e gli ultimi dettagli sono stati messi a posto con l'aiuto di Andrè di Cabo Verde Bikes. 10 giorni sul posto per stabilire definitivamente i tracciati per le diverse manches, perchè (non è più un segreto), ci saranno diverse runs e non una sola come in passato. In totale almento 7000m di dislivello su incredibili single tracks.
Siccome a causa delle elezioni parlamentari il tutto sarà spostato di una settimana (partenza da Parici il 7 Febbraio), gli organizzatori hanno fatto fruttare il tempo in più per incontrarsi con le associazioni locali e per visitare le scuole che saranno aiutate dall'iniziativa.
Un'ultima cosa: c'erano 25°C in Dicembre... è orribile, lo sappiamo!

Classifica mensile dislivello positivo